Monday, June 24, 2013

Book Review: Pretty Girl 13

TITLE: Pretty Girl 13
AUTHOR: Liz Coley
PUBLISHED: March 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Contemporary
PREMISE: A girl who was kidnapped returns thinking she's still 13 when she's actually 16...
MY REVIEW: I have mixed feelings about this one. Part of the reason it's taken me awhile to post a review is me trying to figure out if I even liked it or not. At the end of the day, I do think it's a good book. But, it probably wouldn't be like the first book I would read if given a choice.
The thing about these type of books is one has to be in the mood for them. It's very good at exploring emotional things and the character study of Angie is very good and I loved Coley's writing. There were just random things about it that bugged me but those were mostly my hang ups and don't necessarily ruin the entire thing. Like I didn't get the point of the teen drama with the back-stabbing friends. I felt the slut shaming aimed at Angie's former friend and one of her personalities was strange considering what happened to Angie while she was gone.
So...there were great things about it. But there were also things in it that I really just don't understand why the author felt the need to have them (the entire plot with Greg and Liz for instance). But for a first novel, it's not bad.
WHO SHOULD READ: Lifetime movie fans, fans of pschology type scenarios
MY RATING: Four out of Five it's complicated characters

No comments:

Post a Comment