Thursday, January 3, 2013

Book Review: Magisterium

TITLE: Magisterium
Book 1 in a series?
AUTHOR: Jeff Hirsch
PUBLISHED: October 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Dystopian/Fantasy, adventure
PREMISE: Glenn has always lived on the edge of the Rift with her father until one day changes everything she thought she knew.
MY REVIEW: So I've never read Jeff Hirsch's stuff. I know of him. I've heard of The Eleventh Plague and thanks to my anal need to compile release lists for my YA Shelfari group (and for my own benefit, not going to lie) I know the guy is prolific. This is the first book of his I've actually been interested in though. So my thoughts are...mixed to be honest.
On one hand: LOVE the creativity going on in here. For once a world felt fresh and like nothing I expected. I didn't feel that deja vu feeling I often get while reading YA fantasy/dystopian. It was a nice feeling. The plot was also a nice one. Fairly straight forward and not overly complicated though. Glenn...was up and down as a character to be honest. This was mostly focused on adventure so I feel characters got sacrificed a bit for "lets go on a quest! Look, cat person!" Romance wasn't bad but not the point so I can't really bitch about it too much. The writing was pretty average.
So honestly this book was a bit of a mixed bag. It's nice if you're looking for something a bit different but part of me felt it was rather rushed, particularly at the end. I put a question mark at the series part because I felt the author left room for a sequel but none has been announced that I know of yet.
WHO SHOULD READ: Those looking for more adventurey type dystopian/fantasy
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five cat guys

No comments:

Post a Comment