Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Book Review: The Lies That Bind

TITLE: The Lies That Bind
Book 2 in the Liar Society
AUTHOR: Lisa and Laura Roecker
PUBLISHED: November 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Realistic fiction, drama, mystery
PREMISE: Kate starts getting messages from her dead friend Grace and starts investigating her friends death again.
MY REVIEW: Now we're talking! I was somewhat lukewarm to this series last year. It was fun but a little TOO much like Veronica Mars for me to call it original and I didn't think it was as good as Veronica Mars. While the VM alluisions do continue to persist in this series, it has started to pull away and become it's own thing and it's become stronger as a result.
Still not thrilled about the romance part because I just don't get the connection between the two but character-wise, mystery-wise, and plot-wise this was all a giant leap forward. Writing is still average but not cringe-worthy or anything.
I am far more satisfied with this second book then I was the first book. If like me you were ho hum about the first, give it a second chance. You may find yourself surprised. Now I'm really looking forward to book 3.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of The Liar Society, Veronica Mars fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five sassy girl detectives

No comments:

Post a Comment