Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Book Review: Finale

TITLE: Finale
Book 4 in the Hush Hush series
AUTHOR: Becca Fitzpatrick
PUBLISHED: October 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Angels, romance, urban fantasy
PREMISE: Nora leads the Nephilem in a war while hiding her relationship with Patch.
MY REVIEW: When I think of Hush Hush I don't think of it with anger like I know most readers do (with good reason, there's tons of problems with this series and all complaints are pretty legit), I think of it with sadness. This series had SO MUCH potential. I mean that second book made me so hopeful that I gave it a higher rating then I probably should have. Unfortunately Fitzpatrick doesn't really think outside the box and thus the series basically wound up being a HUGE let down. I mean, talk about a anti-climatic ending.
One would think a war between angels would be interesting, right? Well, apparently not. See, apparently angels really care about who their leader is dating instead of you know, winning the damn war. So we're treated to a utterly contrived scenario where Nora has to hide her relationship with Patch. Again. Because she's never done that before. And Marcie...oh how I weep for Marcie and all her wasted potential as a character. Marcie could have been the Cordelia of Hush Hush because she's just as awesome, but no...she gets slammed and judged and slut shamed instead. Complete. Utter. Waste. Don't get me started on the completely predictable ending. I'll give you a hint: the only one that dies is a character none of the main characters even care about.
So this series honestly just makes me sad. It could have been ten times better then it actually was. This is like Twilight where I wish the idea had been put into the hands of a better and more ambitious author who wasn't stuck in Epic True Love land.
WHO SHOULD READ: Twilight fans, fans of the first three books
MY RATING: Two and a half out of Five cliches
RATING FOR OVERALL SERIES: Two out of Five sad sighs for such wasted potential

No comments:

Post a Comment