Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Book Review: I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You


TITLE: I'd Tell You I'd Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You
Book 1 in the Gallegher Girls series
AUTHOR: Ally Carter
PUBLISHED: 2006
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: mystery, adventure
PREMISE: Cammie goes to a school for undercover spies. She knows kick-butt moves, how to survey and blend in with her surroundings, and is on her way to becoming a top-notch spy. But all of that doesn't really prepare her for her biggest challenge: teenage boys and being a regular girl.
MY REVIEW: Okay, it's official. I'm a fan of Ally Carter now. I read Heist Society a week or so ago and my library finally managed to get this back in so I grabbed it even though I've avoided it for the past few years because it seemed like a Gossip Girl thing from the covers. Yes, yes, I know that's stupid. I'm ashamed of myself right now, okay? Just goes to show that silly covers don't always mean bad books (and likewise beautiful covers don't always equal awesome books).
Now I will say that like Heist Society this premise seems campy and silly and it frankly is. But Carter makes you want it to be real so bad that you don't care. I mean, I would love a school of teen spies for girls to be real. Who wouldn't? The idea is awesome. Carter also manages to make it work well so that you buy it. I also think it helps that she doesn't try to make these books feel serious because if she had gone that route then me (and all the other readers) probably wouldn't get behind this as much.
Plus the writing is hilarious. I loved all the characters (Bex is my favorite! Followed closely by Liz), it was great seeing a girl not afraid or ashamed to be strong and it was just fun. You can't help but laugh at all these spy girls knowing how to diffuse bombs but not know what a guy means when he says "so we'll meet up later, right?" and need clarification of intent. It's funny (and a little sad). I'm definitely picking up the next few books in the future. For those wondering there's going to be a fifth Gallagher Girl book out in 2011 along with the sequel to Heist Society (squee!) in the Summer. Can't wait.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of Heist Society, spy novel fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five plaid skirts

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
12 by 12 in October
One Hundred Plus Books
YA Challenge
First in a Series
Support Your Local Library

1 comment:

  1. Hi, my name is Finda Ayu. I'm a college student of Limkokwing University, Malaysia. I'm now making an essay about chick lit book cover design. What is preferred by female readers and also how powerful a book cover is. It would be nice if I can hear your opinion too by filling up my questionnaire. If you're interested, please send me an email at finda.ayu.w@gmail.com so I can send my questionnaire. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete