Sunday, November 21, 2010

Book Review: Claire de Lune


TITLE: Claire de Lune
Book 1 in an apparently planned series
AUTHOR: Christine Johnson
PUBLISHED: 2010
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: Werewolves, romance, urban fantasy
PREMISE: Claire discovers she's a werewolf and it turns her life upside down.
MY REVIEW: This book was getting a lot of buzz but also a lot of mixed reviews when it came out. I kind of just shrug my shoulders at it because it wasn't the greatest, nor was it horrible. It was just one of the many average books written this year. The author has potential and I'm glad she stayed away from the weak female having to choose between two strong males trope that has been popular lately but that doesn't erase the issues in the book.
The main issue was it was predictable to the point of being boring. Seriously, this has all the makings of a lifetime/disney channel original movie it was that boring. Second issue I had was that the characters were two-dimensional, particularly Claire who reeked of Mary Sueisms. As a result of them being two-dimensional I found it hard to care about the book and that next to the predictability basically had me yawning through the whole book, when I wasn't rolling my eyes at the angsting and the whining Claire did about being a werewolf (why did she whine so much anyway? From what I saw it didn't majorly effect her day to day life, aside from not being able to date Matthew, so what gives?).
So in short, not a horrible book but not the greatest either. Just average and utterly forgettable. I'm not entirely sure why the author plans on making this a series as from what I saw all the plot lines were neatly tied up in a pretty little bow, but who knows? Maybe she'll surprise us in the next book. But for a debut novel I will say it's not half bad. The author just needs to work on creativity a bit as well as characterization.
WHO SHOULD READ: werewolf fans, Twilight fans (particularly Team Jacob fans)
MY RATING: Three out of Five full moons

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
12 by 12 in November
One Hundred Plus Books
YA Challenge
Support Your Local Library

No comments:

Post a Comment