Monday, July 12, 2010

Book Review: Sunshine


TITLE: Sunshine
PART IN SERIES: standalone
AUTHOR: Robin McKinley
PUBLISHED: 2003
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: vampires, drama, urban fantasy
PREMISE: When Rae is taken prisoner by vampires, her quiet life is changed forever.
MY REVIEW: I have mixed feelings on this book. On one hand, it's McKinley and therefore the characters are fleshed out well and there's great world building and it was a nice refreshing take on the vampire thing that is rather tired right now. Though I would like to point out this was written in 2003 which was way before the vampire madness resurged with Twilight (written in 2005). So kudos to Mckinley for doing this before vampires became annoying and for not currently jumping on the bandwagon either (her next book coming out this year is about winged horses).
Now comes my issues. One issue I have is that at times this book tended to drag. Normally I am fine with authors taking their time, but I don't know, it seemed like this book moved at a snail's pace. My next issue was that while I love that Mckinley took time to flesh out her world but at times it felt like too much detail? Sometimes Rae would just go on and on about this is this and that is that and while a lot of it was interesting...it was also occasionally annoying as I wanted her to get on with the story.
But overall this is a solid book with a very interesting take on vampires. There were also some hilarious lines in it that helps with the slightly slow pacing. To those wondering, her next book (Pegasus) comes out in November.
WHO SHOULD READ: Robin McKinley fans, vampire fans, Twilight fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five pocket knives

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
One Hundred Plus Books
YA Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment