Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Book Review: The Hunger Games


TITLE: The Hunger Games
PART IN SERIES: Book 1 in the Hunger Games trilogy
AUTHOR: Suzanne Collins
PUBLISHED: 2008
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: Science fiction, action/adventure
PREMISE: When Katniss's sister is called forward to participate in the deadly Hunger Games, she steps forward to take her place. Soon she gets involved in the deadly game that pits children against one another in a fight to the death...
MY REVIEW: Normally, I don't care for these battle to the death type things (HATED Lord of the Flies) but this...is GOOD. For one the battle to the death is actually just a plot device for a much larger story that involves a complicated futuristic system that is intriguing and a much more involved story arc then you normally get with these type of scenarios. Now I will say, I wasn't all that interested in the games part themselves, I was more interested in the political/possible rebellion type stuff going on, but I do give Collins credit for not shying away from the violence aspect of it.
But the thing that made me really love this was Katniss. Finally a teen heroine who is concerned about more then her social life or love life. She cares about things other then herself. So refreshing from what is normally going on in YA fiction nowadays. Also refreshing is that the romance isn't contrived or cliche, what little romance there actually is in the book. Because the author is not using the romance to drive the story, it's a secondary thing to the excitement going on which is the way it should be in these types of stories.
Now, since I know someone will ask me eventually I'm going to state it now: I really don't care who Katniss ends up with. Yeah, I know, something wrong with me. But I honestly like both Peeta and Gale so I have no qualms with her ending up with either one. Now bear in mind I haven't read the second book yet so that may change, but for now I'm Team I don't give a damn cause both guys are pretty cool.
So in short, I'm now in love with this trilogy and am kicking myself for not picking it up sooner. But hey, I'll be picking up the second as soon as my bills for the month are paid so I'll be caught up with the trilogy in time to celebrate the third book's release on August 24rth. There's going to be a release party right? I hope so.
WHO SHOULD READ: anyone inclined to pick it up
MY RATING: Four and a half out of five bow and arrows

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
One Hundred Plus Books
12 by 12 in July
YA Challenge

1 comment:

  1. Well written! I love this book, I read the sequel in about six hours straight through. I'm also "team I don't give a damn" :)

    ReplyDelete