Sunday, July 18, 2010

Book Review: 1rst to Die


TITLE: 1rst to Die
PART IN SERIES: Book 1 in the Women's Murder Club series
AUTHOR: James Patterson
PUBLISHED: 2005
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: mystery, thriller
PREMISE: A man goes on a killing spree killing off newlyweds. A female cop, reporter, medical examiner, and lawyer team up to bring him down.
MY REVIEW: What can I say about Patterson? He knows how to spin a good mystery yarn. His books may not be the best thing out there (some of his prose can be pretty eye roll worthy) but when you're in the mood for a decent mystery, his books do the trick. Personally, I prefer his Maximum Ride series to his adult books but that's just me.
I will say this though, it was refreshing having a mystery series where the females weren't young twentysomethings who were hot, single, and who had guys panting after them every time you looked around. These women were middle aged, one was married (and heavy but her weight never became an issue), one was divorced, and all were average looking. It was a nice change of pace and made them more relateable.
However, sometimes this series became...I don't know over the top to me. I mean, I'm all for it not being boring but sometimes I had to raise an eyebrow or two and this is from someone who enjoys her cop shows (Castle is one of my current favorite shows). So while it did have it's strong points, it was sometimes a little absurd for me. But I'm letting that go mostly because of the genre it's in.
WHO SHOULD READ: James Patterson fans, fans of cop/mystery tv shows
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five magnify glasses

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
One Hundred Plus Books
12 by 12 in July
First in a Series

No comments:

Post a Comment