Friday, July 16, 2010

Book Review: Never Trust a Dead Man


TITLE: Never Trust a Dead Man
PART IN SERIES: Standalone novel
AUTHOR: Vivian Vande Velde
PUBLISHED: 1999
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: fantasy, mystery
PREMISE: a boy gets accused of murder and is buried alive. A witch helps him escape and he sets out to prove his innocence.
MY REVIEW: If you've never heard of this book, don't feel bad, neither had I till I picked it up at my local book fair for a quarter (aren't library book fairs the most awesome idea?). It's shame too, this book is quite fun. It's not uber spectaculer (and it kind of surprises me that it won an Edgar Award apparently) but still, if you're in the mood for a spooky whodunit, this book does the trick.
One of the best things about this book for me was Elswyth. She was hysterical, and it helped that she reminded me of one of my favorite characters Yuuko from xxxHolic (if you do not know what xxxHolic is, you're not a manga fan, pick it up; you won't be sorry). The other thing that kept me reading was the humor.
Other then that, it was your average run of the mill book with nothing really to recomend it. Though I do think guys will quite like this one as there's not any sappy romance and they enjoy the vague creepy factor in the book.
WHO SHOULD READ: guys, if you think you'll enjoy it
MY RATING: Three out of Five winged bats

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
One Hundred Plus Books
12 by 12 in July
YA Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment