Friday, February 12, 2010

Book Review: The Wizard Test


TITLE: The Wizard Test
AUTHOR: Hilari Bell
PUBLISHED: 2005
GENRE: young adult, fantasy
PREMISE: In a world on the brink of war, Dayven is tested for wizardry. Only problem is, he doesn't want to be a wizard.
MY REVIEW: This...was really short. I felt it ended rather abruptly and I wasn't very satisfied with how it ended. That isn't to say it wasn't good. Like all of Bell's work, she does a great job of having difficult characters and throwing them into that muddy gray area. You may not neccessarily like the main characters, but her stories do always make you think about things. Also, like most of her works, she has created an interesting world. I think this is the first book I've seen that has wizards as outcasts and not trusted by anyone. That was an interesting aspect for me.
But like I said before, it was really short and I felt more could have been explored. But for a really short story it packed a punch and got a lot in. Just not enough to completely satisfy.
WHO SHOULD READ: people who like well done fantasy worlds and don't mind no romance
MY RATING: Three out of five wizards

For the following challenges:
12 by 12 February challenge on J-Kaye's blog
Support Your Local Library challenge on J-Kaye's blog
One Hundred Plus Books on J-Kaye's blog

No comments:

Post a Comment