Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Book Review: The Queen of Cool


TITLE: The Queen of Cool
AUTHOR: Cecil Castellucci
PUBLISHED: 2006
GENRE: young adult, drama
PREMISE: Libby becomes bored with her popular life and does something unexpected that changes her perspective on things.
MY REVIEW: To be frank? I didn't care for this book. I appreciated the message behind the book. The author did try to point out to teens to try new things and be more open minded and what not and I agree with that and can get behind that.
However, the book was way too predictable. As in, I saw the ending a mile away (I even predicted who she would end up with in like the second chapter). The characters were stereotyped to death. There was very little in the way of character developement. I didn't care for the writing style, but that's my personal preference, and nothing against the author. As a result it was just...boring. Also very short. You could probably finish it in about two hours. A well intentioned book, but I just wish the author had put more thought and originality into the story.
WHO SHOULD READ: Well...tweens/teens may enjoy it...
MY RATING: Two and a half out of five popular kids

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
12 by 12 Challenge in February
Support Your Local Library
One Hundred Plus Books
all hosted on J-Kaye's Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment