Friday, February 26, 2010

Book Review: The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod


TITLE: Eighth Grade Bites
PART OF A SERIES: Book 1 in The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod
AUTHOR: Heather Brewer
AUTHOR WEBSITE: www.heatherbrewer.com
PUBLISHED: 2007
GENRE: young adult, vampire, series, fantasy
PREMISE: Vladimir Tod is a vampire stuck going to school, dealing with the usual: girls, friends, bullies, and wierd new teachers who may or may not have murdered his parents.
MY REVIEW: I enjoyed this a lot more then I thought I would. I'm a little tired of the vampire craze to be honest. I've said it since high school: if you've read one vampire series; you've basically read them all with maybe a few changes here and there. The only ones that have stood out for me is Sookie Stackhouse and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. A lot of the other vampire books are usually pretty alike. So I was pleasantly surprised by this series. It is different. It's in the point of view of the vampire for a change and that vampire has to deal with that hell we all have to go through: high school.
While I did enjoy the book, there are flaws. Some of the logic is a bit skewed (vampire having a kid?) and Vlad isn't as developed a character as I would have liked. But I'm hoping that's because he's technically still a teen and therefore is still developing. It was also rather rushed and not a lot of stuff was explained but again, I'm hoping the stuff not explained is explained in later books.
But while there are flaws it's enjoyable. Unfortunately, it is being published at a time when there are way to many other books like it so I'm not exactly eager to spend all my money on the books just yet. I do reccomend checking it out from the library though to see if you'll be interested. For vampire fans it also will be a treat, especially if you're sick of Twilight.
WHO SHOULD READ: Twilight fans, vampire fans tired of Twilight, vampire fans in general, if you happen to be curious about it
MY RATING: Three and a half out of five vampire fangs

For the following challenges:
First in a Series on Royal Review Blogs
YA Challenge
One Hundred Plus Books
Support Your Local Library
12 by 12 in February

No comments:

Post a Comment