Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Book Review: Queens of Geek

TITLE: Queens of Geek
AUTHOR: Jen Wilde
PUBLISHED: March 14th, 2017
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Contemporary
PREMISE: A celebrity and her friends go to their first geek convention.
MY REVIEW: This is one of the many books about geeks being published this year. It is most definitely a love letter to fandom like all of these books essentially are. By all rights, I should have loved this one. Sadly...I couldn't do more then shrug at it.
The writing is very juvenile and that is what hindered a lot of it for me. The plot constantly wanders, the author doesn't know how to bring up topics in a subtle way so all the moments that I could feel her wanting me to go "hell yeah!" mostly had me going "well, yeah, I agree with that but...you couldn't have found a better way to write this?" There is one character in particular who is basically every troll rolled into one guy (kind of like that one villain character in Geekerella) and it just...started to get a little ridiculous and honestly just plain unrealistic. Look, I do my share of ranting, believe me. Heck, I've done it here. But I don't go around sounding like a tumblr feminist rant post all day either. Also the author's dialogue really needs some work. There were a LOT of people giggling in this book and authors...once you're past the kid age...you don't really giggle. That's a kid thing.
That's not to say this book isn't enjoyable. I did in the end, like it. It's just...I kept thinking through out it, that it could have been done ten times better, with more time spent editing and fine-tuning it. If you just want seriously cute romances staring geeks, it is good for that. I just kept wanting more from it.
WHO SHOULD READ: Younger teens, those looking for just cute romances with LGBTQA representation, Geekerella fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five sad sighs because I wanted to love this

No comments:

Post a Comment