Thursday, October 19, 2017

Book Review: Tash Hearts Tolstoy

TITLE: Tash Hearts Tolstoy
AUTHOR: Kathryn Ormsbee
PUBLISHED: June 6th, 2017
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Contemporary
PREMISE: A girl and her friends suddenly find their web series thrust into the spotlight when a famous youtuber gives them a shout out...
MY REVIEW: This is the latest in a long line of what I'm personally calling proud to be geek books. Seriously, there have been a LOT of geek focused books lately, have you guys noticed? This year alone we have: Geekerella, Queens of Geek, Eliza and Her Monsters, this book, and a few others that are basically focused on geeks. I personally am all for it. Though I think some of them have...shall we say idealized versions of the geek world. But it has been an interesting trend to watch happen over the past year.
This one focuses on the YouTube part of the geek world. The thing that thrilled me the most about it was that its main character was asexual. Not the side character, not a bit character that gets mentioned, the actual main character was asexual. This is huge to me because I honestly figured we never would get this far in YA. But here we are. There's also another book featuring an asexual character coming out next year. I hope this continues. I should probably explain that this excitement I have for this development  is a bit selfish on my part. I'm mostly excited for this because I am demi-sexual. If we get asexual representation....maybe just maybe we'll actually start to get some demi-sexual representation. I'm not holding my breath anytime soon (entertainment in general doesn't seem to understand that this is actually a thing) but I can at least cross my fingers. It's bound to happen eventually, right?
Now as for the book itself...I won't lie, it's a pretty typical contemporary book. Thing happens, girl learns important life lessons, there's drama and so on and so forth. The writing is average, the plot is decently paced. I was actually pleasantly surprised by the end because it didn't go the way I expected it to go at all. If you are loving these contemporary books about geeks that have been popping up this is a fun one to continue on with.
WHO SHOULD READ: geeks, fans of Geekerella, Eliza and Her Monsters, Queens of Geek
MY RATING: Four out of Five books that just make you happy

No comments:

Post a Comment