Monday, March 6, 2017

Book Review: The Last Star

TITLE: The Last Star
Book 3 in the Fifth Wave Trilogy
AUTHOR: Rick Yancey
PUBLISHED: May 2016
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Sci-Fi/Dystopian
PREMISE: The final days of the alien invasion are here...
MY REVIEW: Oh Fifth Wave trilogy, you started out so well. I really liked the first book. It wasn't mind-blowing but it was one of the few alien invasion stories out there that I actually found plausible. Then...like sadly most trilogies...the second book happened. Too many multiple PoVs got introduced, the world-building turned into a giant mess and basically it felt as if someone completely different had written the second book.
I honestly was so disappointed with the second book, I almost didn't really bother with this third one. But I saw it at the library and figured I might as well just get the trilogy done. Unfortunately...I don't think this trilogy quite recovered from the mess of the second book. I found I didn't particularly care about any of the characters anymore. The ending didn't have quite the impact I think the author was going for as a result. It was a realistic ending, I'll give the author that. But...ultimately...I just didn't care anymore so I basically yawned my way through it.
This is one of those books that I suspect maybe should have been just a standalone. Because if I had just stuck to the first, I probably would have been happy with it. But, we got two more books and those two books kind of turned everything into a mess. So...I can't really give this any better then an average rating.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of the first two books
MY RATING: Three out of Five sad endings that didn't have quite the impact that they should have
RATING FOR TRILOGY: Three and a half out of Five good starts but bad endings.

No comments:

Post a Comment