Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Book Review: Shrill-Notes From a Loud Woman

TITLE: Shrill-Notes From a Loud Woman
AUTHOR: Lindy West
PUBLISHED: May 2016
CATEGORY: Non-Fiction
GENRE: Essays/memoirs
PREMISE: Online writer Lindy West talks about various topics including how  being a feminist online has effected her.
MY REVIEW: I am somewhat familiar with Lindy West's work before this. I do occasionally read Jezebel (very occasionally, it sometimes gets a little too white feminist for my taste), and I remember one of the incidents that she talks about in this book. So I was a little interested in reading this.
For the most part, I liked it a lot. West is an engaging writer. It gets a tad repetitive in places. Sometimes she does repeat things a lot. But lets face it: a lot incidents with internet trolls tend to go about the same. So that's probably a large part of it. I had to put the book down because so much of the harassment she receives for basically voicing an opinion, just really makes you question whether there's any empathy left in the world at like, all. There is one story at the end that gives a little hope, but it is very little as it's just one person realizing what a colossal jerk they were.
At times this mostly just feels a bit ranty (I know, I probably shouldn't judge that). The stuff she's writing about is interesting (at least to me) so I don't mind that much. If you like memoirs dealing with subjects like feminism and weight issues and whatnot, this is a good one to look into.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of Lindy West, feminists, people who like social commentary essays
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five essays to nod along at too

No comments:

Post a Comment