Friday, March 10, 2017

Book Review: The Sense of an Ending

TITLE: The Sense of an Ending
AUTHOR: Julian Barnes
PUBLISHED: 2011
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Contemporary/Drama
PREMISE: A man thinks back over his life, particularly some incidents in his youth.
MY REVIEW: This book is a perfect example of why I scoff when literature snobs try to tell me a literature book is always better then anything else simply because it's literature. Yeah, no. There are poor literature books out there, just like every other genre.
In this book's defense, it's not that it's really bad. There are some beautiful prose here. I'm sure there's an audience somewhere for this book. I'm just...not that audience. Sorry, I like things to actually happen in a story. In this one...hardly anything happens. It is less then two hundred pages and it felt like a slog to get through, that's how bored I was while reading it. Once again: all the pretty writing in the world is not going to help you if your story is dull. I know I keep repeating this, but apparently, it needs repeating. I'm not even going to go into the annoying way this book treated its female characters. We'd be here all day.
So yeah...I was not a fan of this. I don't think it's the worst thing ever. Again, there are some really poignant lines in it. But that is not enough to make me actually enjoy reading it. I really don't understand how they're going to be able to make a movie out of this (it comes out in March, hence why I read this at all) as again: nothing much really happens. I'm guessing there's going to be a lot of changes.
WHO SHOULD READ: Literature fans, Virgin Suicide fans
MY RATING: Two and a half out of Five snores

No comments:

Post a Comment