Friday, November 11, 2016

Book Review: A Shadow Bright and Burning

TITLE: A Shadow Bright and Burning
Book 1 in the Kingdom on Fire series
AUTHOR: Jessica Cluess
CATEGORY: YA
PUBLISHED: September 20th, 2016
GENRE: Fantasy
PREMISE: A girl with magic hides in a world where women aren't supposed to have any, but then is discovered...
MY REVIEW: I'll be honest: a majority of the reason I picked this up was because I loved the cover. So pretty. ;stares at it again; Luckily the book mostly lived up to the pretty cover.
I say mostly because while it is definitely readable and entertaining....there wasn't much that was new here. The author does sort of twist the chosen one trope around a bit, but not by much. The world is interesting...but also not very fleshed out. I hope it's because it's a first book and most of this was concerned with Henrietta's training. Romance wise...this book was okay. The romance wasn't the best, but also not like Twilight levels of bad. It was just kind of there because there's some unspoken rule that if you're going to do YA fantasy, you have to have romance.
I know this sounds like I didn't enjoy it. But...I did while reading it. As I said, it's very readable and goes by very quickly. If you just want a fun historicalish fantasy to read in an afternoon, this is not a bad pick.
WHO SHOULD READ: Historical Fantasy fans, those that like the chosen one trope
MY RATING: Four out of Five people with powers

No comments:

Post a Comment