Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Book Review: Hidden Figures

TITLE: Hidden Figures
AUTHOR: Margot Lee Shetterly
CATEGORY: Non-Fiction
PUBLISHED: 2016
GENRE: Biography/History
PREMISE: A history book going into the lives of women who did computing for NASA and helped the space race.
MY REVIEW: I first became aware of this book when the trailer for the upcoming movie came out. That trailer is the stuff dreams are made of, I will be seeing the hell out of said movie when it comes out in...January, I believe. I'm not putting a release date on the book itself because honestly...I'm not sure when this book comes out. The dates I'm seeing are for December, yet...my library already had a copy. So...I'm not sure what's going on there.
If I could rate this based on the story alone, it would get five stars from me. Because this is interesting stuff and a great story. There are a lot misconceptions of history that this shatters. I kind of hope the movie does so too, as that's probably what more people will see, but knowing Hollywood....it probably won't. Story-wise this is very interesting. Its weakness mostly comes from the way it's written. I believe this is the author's first book and...it kind of shows. The writing isn't very engaging and it's very unfocused. There's a lot of things in here that are quite frankly...not very relevant and should have been cut. The author absolutely did her research and I appreciate that. But...she needed to focus said research more because I found myself skimming a lot of it because it just wasn't contributing to the narrative at all.
Overall this was a good book, I just wish it had been edited more. I'm still seeing the hell out of the movie though.
WHO SHOULD READ: History fans, NASA fans, those interested in the Hidden Figures movie
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five interesting history facts no one tells you

For those interested in the trailer for the movie:


No comments:

Post a Comment