Friday, November 4, 2016

Book Review: The Nest

TITLE: The Nest
AUTHOR: Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney
CATEGORY: Adult
PUBLISHED: March 2016
GENRE: Contemporary
PREMISE: A dysfunctional family's misadventures in New York City...
MY REVIEW: This book was everywhere for awhile back in the spring. I confess, this is not normally my thing, but when a book gets over fifty thousand ratings on Goodreads in its first year...I have to take a look. There seem to be two kinds of reactions to this book: People either really love it, or they're indifferent to it.
I fall into the indifferent camp. I just...didn't really connect with this one. Maybe it's because my family has never been rich so I can't relate to worrying about whether your inheritance is going to be there or not. Or perhaps it's because I found all the characters insufferable at one point or another. Even the most likable of the bunch at one point pettily judges someone's bookshelf, which is a habit that drives my last nerve. I've probably said this before but I have zero patience for book snobbery. Even from fictional characters.
The writing is great in this one though. The author has a great style and if you're into contemporaries about dysfunctional families, then this will probably be right up your alley. Me...I was just bored reading it.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of dysfunctional family stories, those that don't mind unlikable characters
MY RATING: Three out of Five families that need therapy

No comments:

Post a Comment