Thursday, October 27, 2016

Book Review: The Reader

TITLE: The Reader
Book 1 in the Sea of Ink and Gold series
AUTHOR: Traci Chee
CATEGORY: YA
PUBLISHED: September 13th, 2016
GENRE: Fantasy
PREMISE: A girl goes on the run when people come after her for the precious item she holds: a book.
MY REVIEW: This was...an interesting read. It definitely was not what I was expecting. It was darker and the way it was told was very different then what you normally see. I did ultimately like it. But I suspect this is one that will not be for everyone because of the quirky writing style. That is the pitfall of having a quirky way of telling story: your reader will either get it and get on board or they won't get it and won't like it.
While I do like this, I wish the world was more fleshed out, but I'm hoping that's going to happen in book 2. I also hope there's more development for the characters because one drawback to the writing style and the fact that this book was mostly focused on the adventure part, is that there wasn't much connection with the characters.
This one...was honestly a bit of a mixed bag for me. I love the interesting way the author went about telling the story, the diversity is excellent, the world is intriguing and the way it left off will definitely have me picking up the next book. But there were also a lot of things that needed more development such as the world and the characters. The good here far out weighs the bad though. I think whether you like this book will ultimately come down to a matter of personal taste.
WHO SHOULD READ: dark fantasy fans, fantasy fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five interesting starts

No comments:

Post a Comment