Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Book Review: Lost Stars

TITLE: Lost Stars
Part of the Journey to Force Awakens series/canon(it's complicated, okay?)
AUTHOR: Claudia Gray
PUBLISHED: September 2015
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Science-Fiction, tie-in novel
PREMISE: Set in the time when the Galactic Empire reigned supreme, a young girl and boy enroll in the Imperial Academy and start out as best friends. But soon they go on very different paths...
MY REVIEW: Full disclosure: I am Star Wars trash. I love it. I am the first to admit it's corny. But I don't care. I loved The Force Awakens and honestly am excited about this new book canon that we've gotten. Do I miss Mara Jade? Sure. But if the trade off for losing her is a more consistent universe, with more diverse characters, and better authors writing the books...I'm fine with a new canon. Sorry, but there it is.
Like the old canon, a lot of these Star Wars books are hit or miss. This book here is my favorite of them, and the first I've felt compelled to review here. If you are a Star Wars fan and aren't sure if you want to try the novels, this is a great place to start. Gray gets this universe. This is actually one of my favorites of the new canon. You don't have to be a super fan to get into this book. It's accessible for those who've only seen the movies and don't know every bit of trivia there is.
It does drag in the middle a bit, but for the most part, this book captures that great Star Wars feeling. It's long, but you fly through the pages. I love the complicated story the author has set up. I really hope there's a sequel. But in the mean time, I shall happily look into Bloodline, her book about Princess Leia after Return of the Jedi.
WHO SHOULD READ: Star Wars fans, Claudia Gray fans, Sci-fi fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five lightsabers

No comments:

Post a Comment