Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Book Review: Double Down

TITLE: Double Down
Book 2 in the Lois Lane series
AUTHOR: Gwenda Bond
PUBLISHED: May 1rst, 2016
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Sci-fi, media tie-in, mystery
PREMISE: Young Lois Lane continues investigations for her school paper.
MY REVIEW: The Lois Lane book last year was a lot of fun. I admit, I didn't have high hopes for it. DC has been...disappointing me as of late, to put it mildly ;sighs sadly about Batman vs Superman yet again; But book wise, I've been relatively happy with them. Still not sold on this Rebirth thing, but it is what it is.
This book is what I remember adoring about the DC comics. There's lots of actions. The characters are fun and inspiring. Lois Lane gets to do things. I was afraid they were going to try and force Clark into here and not let Lois be her awesome self but so far, the author hasn't done that. Clark is there, in the background. But Lois never gets overshadowed and still gets to do her things.
The sequel focused a little more on Lois' friends then Lois herself, but that's fine. The friends are interesting. Part of the charm of the first book was seeing all these different characters deal with each other. Writing wise, this is still quite average. But the charm of Lois more then makes up for any faults this series has. I can't wait for more. I know I've mentioned this before, but I'm thrilled that DC and Marvel are throwing their hats into the YA world. I think the books will go a long way towards getting more people interested in trying the comics.
WHO SHOULD READ: Lois Lane fans, Smallville/Lois and Clark fans, Superman fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five Lois Lane fangirl trash signs

No comments:

Post a Comment