Friday, March 6, 2015

Book Review: Polaris

TITLE: Polaris
Book 2 of the Avalon series
AUTHOR: Mindee Arnett
PUBLISHED: January 20th, 2015
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Science Fiction
PREMISE: Jeth and his crew go on one last run with loads of consequences and surprises.
MY REVIEW: Avalon was a surprise read from last year. Mostly in the fact that it was enjoyable sci-fi. I've had bad experiences with sci-fi because most sci-fi authors get too caught up in explaining the science part that they tend to forget that little thing called story. All the legit science in the world will not help you if your story is boring. That is a lesson this genre really needs to learn.
This series gets that and focuses more on character and is all the better for it. It honestly does remind me a bit of Firefly in that it has a fun crew to hang out with as well as great action and plot. Now this second one is...not as absorbing for me as the first one was. I think it was maybe just me. I had lots of other books at the time I read it and so I was distracted. Even if it wasn't as good as the first, it still was damn entertaining and gave a good solid ending.
Mostly, I'm satisfied. I think the author left it in a good place and as always with Arnett, I look forward to what she comes up with next.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of Avalon, Firefly fans, sci-fi fans who don't care about the science part
MY RATING: Four out of Five spaceships

No comments:

Post a Comment