Saturday, March 28, 2015

Book Review: All the Bright Places

TITLE: All the Bright Places
AUTHOR: Jennifer Niven
PUBLISHED: January 6th, 2015
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Realistic Fiction/Romance
PREMISE: A depressed girl and boy meet as she saves him from suicide.
MY REVIEW: I think it's safe to say that this book is this year's Fault in Our Stars. It's been everywhere since it was released. There was huge hype when it came out. I don't anticipate it going away anytime soon either. I suspect it'll end up on a lot of favorites this year, particularly from those who love contemporary.
Me...I'm sort of meh on it. But that is absolutely me. I don't think this book horrible. Far from it. It's wonderfully written and packs a punch at the end. But as I've said many times, sad contemporaries like this as a rule, aren't my cup of tea. There are a few exceptions sometimes like Eleanor and Park. But this one, while I definitely get why it's big and recommend it to contemporary fans, it just wasn't my thing. I think I maybe just wasn't in the mood for it when I read it. Sometimes I have to be in the mood for contemporaries.
But again, this is me. If you are in fact a huge contemporary fan and love the sad romances, you'll probably love this. It definitely is one of the stronger debuts this year.
WHO SHOULD READ: John Green fans, Eleanor and Park fans, Thirteen Reasons Why fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five tissue boxes

No comments:

Post a Comment