Monday, March 30, 2015

Reading Through the Classics: Sense and Sensibility

TITLE: Sense and Sensibility
AUTHOR: Jane Austen
PUBLISHED: 1811
CATEGORY: Classic
GENRE: Romance
PREMISE: The Dashwood sisters struggle against poverty and with romance.
THOUGHTS: This is the first of Jane Austen's books that I will be reading this year. It is a goal of mine to read all the ones I haven't, which means all her books except for Emma and Pride and Prejudice. Pride and Prejudice I read back in high school, and Emma I read a few years ago when I first got my kindle.
Like all Austen books, this one has familiar themes. It has a strong sister relationship, there are issues about class and money, and there are romantic misadventures. I'm probably going to commit some taboo here, but I actually kind of liked this one more than Pride and Prejudice ;ducks from the Darcy fans; I'm not saying PandP stunk or anything! I love that book and rewatch the movie every so often. But I just like this story slightly better for some reason. It's more...realistic to me. I don't know why, it just is. Next Jane Austen I'm tackling is Mansfield Park.

Movies to watch:
The PBS version (do all the PBS Jane Austen productions, they're fab)
Sense and Sensibility movie with Emma Thompson/Hugh Grant/Kate Winslet/Alan Rickman

Retellings to check out:
Sense and Sensibility by Joanna Trollope-Modern retelling of the story
Sense and Sensibility Mysteries series by Anna Elliott-about adult little sister Margeret who solves mysteries
Sass and Serendipity by Jennifer Ziegler-YA modern retelling of the story

No comments:

Post a Comment