Saturday, March 7, 2015

Book Review: I'll Give You the Sun

TITLE: I'll Give You the Sun
AUTHOR: Jandy Nelson
PUBLISHED: September 16th, 2014
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Realistic Fiction
PREMISE: A pair of twins deal with the death of their mother in different ways, each holding their own secrets about what happened during that time.
MY REVIEW: I admit, took me awhile to get to this one. But everyone has been raving about it so much that when I saw it on the shelf in the library I grabbed it. I've never read The Sky is Everywhere even though everyone says it's great so I had no expectations going into this.
Luckily I wound up really loving it. It's wonderfully written, though confusing at times. For instance the ghost...was she real? I didn't get that at all. I think the author was trying to be metaphoric there. But honestly, it just wound up confusing me. Other then that, this was a wonderfully told story of a pair of twins dealing with grief in their own way. Some ways more healthy then others.
If you're a fan of powerful contemporaries then this absolutely is for you. It's nothing really new in the genre. But it's still a very solid book. I think now I'll look into The Sky is Everywhere.
WHO SHOULD READ: The Sky is Everywhere fans, John Green fans, David Levithan fans
MY RATING: Four and a half out of Five twins not dealing with things

No comments:

Post a Comment