Sunday, February 15, 2015

Thematic Sunday: Books Dealing With Religion Struggles/Faith

So Ash Wednesday is upon us. I won't explain it, because I've never personally participated (I'm not Catholic, thank God, because I'd be the worse Catholic ever). But I thought that as people go through lent, that they might be looking for books dealing with faith as they're struggling to stay away from chocolate/coffee/whatever you've decided to give up. I'm being pretty liberal with my definition of religious here too. Some of these are non-fiction, some are allegory fiction, some are just about people who are into religion.

1) Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis

Non-fiction series of essays written by Lewis on Christianity. If you've been going to Church on the regular chances are you've heard of this one already. Also check out his Screwtape Letters book. Just be warned: he had some shitty ideas about PoC and women. So your feelings about Chronicles of Narnia (also recommended) may become tainted. At least they will if you're me.





2) God is in the Pancakes by Robin Epstein

Never read this one myself, but from what I understand it wrestles with ideas about death and faith and all that jazz.








3) Addison Blakely: Confessions of a PK by Betsy St. Amant

Book about a preachers kid who starts questioning her faith and what she believes.








4) The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan

Like Lewis, if you're already in religious circles...you probably know this one.










5) Evolution, Me, and Other Freaks of Nature by Robin Brande

Fiction book that wrestles with that science versus religion question. Personally, I think you can believe in religion and also believe in science. The two do not have to mutually exclusive. Unfortunately...many people don't seem to see it that way.





6) The Robert Langden series by Dan Brown

The first two absolutely for sure read. They have some fantastic observations/debates about science vs religion (and also point out how they don't have to be at odds) and go into a lot of bible history. The third one mostly deals with Freemasons. Haven't read the forth one yet so I have no idea what conspiracy that one's about.






7) A Nun on the Bus by Sister Simone Campbell

Non-fiction by a real-life nun doing some awesome stuff. Sometimes you just need to read something that makes you feel slightly better about your fellow Christians.






8) Time Quartet by Madeline L'Engle

Apparently like Chronicles of Narnia, this is allegory fiction. I never knew that when I read it as a kid, all I knew was that Meg and her siblings were damn awesome and I loved Mrs. Whatsit. I should probably note that the allegory in Chronicles of Narnia went completely over my head too. I just don't catch the allegories unless you tell me.





9) Faking Faith by Josie Bloss

About a lonely girl who befriends online Christian bloggers. Probably a bit of a stretch here. But hey, maybe some will get a kick out of it.








10) Godless by Pete Hautman

Have never heard of this one till now, but it sounds interesting. A kid apparently goes off an creates his own religion, complete with followers. This details the pitfalls that come with religion. I can see so much meta discussion about this...




No comments:

Post a Comment