Saturday, February 7, 2015

Book Review: Jackaby

TITLE: Jackaby
Book 1 in the Jackaby series
AUTHOR: William Ritter
PUBLISHED: September 2014
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Historical Fantasy
PREMISE: A girl arrives in New England and finds a job working for a mysterious man who deals with things like faeries.
MY REVIEW: If you've heard about this book (which is probably not many, for some reason it wasn't one of the huge buzz books last year), you've likely heard the Sherlock meets Doctor Who comparisons. While I do think the Sherlock (canon Sherlock Holmes anyway, not the Moffat version) is apt, I think it's more comparable to Dresden Files then to Doctor Who.
Luckily I like all three of these things so I dug this book quite a bit. Also luckily, it treats its female characters much better then all of those things. I love Sherlock but some of the things they do with the female characters makes me want to bang my head against the wall. It's one of the many reasons I actually prefer Elementary. But that's another rant for another day. Back to the book. It's just fun. It pretty much is a rehash of familiar territory. Main character getting a job for a mysterious employer and discovering magic world is a much loved trope, but it's well done nonetheless. This is a good intro to the world, there's a fast brisk pace to it, and it's just all around entertaining.
If you're looking for fun historical fantasy mystery this book definitely fits the bill. I can't wait for the next one.
WHO SHOULD READ: Sherlock Holmes fans, Dresden Files fans, historical fantasy fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five murders to solve

No comments:

Post a Comment