Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Book Review: The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

TITLE: The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
AUTHOR: Sherman Alexie
PUBLISHED: 2007
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Realistic Fiction
PREMISE: A Native-American boy transfers to the white school off of his reservation and faces a whole lot of consequences for it.
MY REVIEW: This probably won't be so much a review but a chime in. This is one those books that is on everyone's must-read lists, everyone likes it (though I'm sure there's some easily offended person somewhere kicking up a fuss about it just because), it's pretty much a recommend everywhere. While the masses and I don't always agree about stuff, this is an instance where I say: good job bestseller list.
I did really like this book and I totally completely get why it's become a huge thing in YA. Like Thirteen Reasons Why and Speak, this is one that all high schoolers should read. Heck, some privileged adults could probably stand to read it. This is just one of those books that needs to be and should be discussed and I salute the teachers who aren't afraid to use it in the classroom. Because if my endorsement isn't enough, it's been frequently banned/challenged in libraries. Nothing says decent read like a book having parents pearl clutching, right?
So yes, the hype is kind of accurate. Possibly a wee bit overblown like most hype, but it's still a damn good book. If you haven't picked it up, do so.
WHO SHOULD READ: Anyone inclined to do so, realistic fiction fans
MY RATING: Five out of Five, I honestly can't think of anything in it I didn't like

No comments:

Post a Comment