Sunday, August 31, 2014

Book Review: Illusive

TITLE: Illusive
Book 1 in the Illusive series
AUTHOR: Emily Lloyd-Jones
PUBLISHED: July 15th, 2014
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Dystopian
PREMISE: In the future, a girl with powers is a thief who gets caught up in a plot that's much larger then she realized...
MY REVIEW: Fair warning: I loved the hell out of this. So...this review is biased on my part. Literally the only thing I can think of to say about it, is that originality wise, it reminds me of a lot of other things. I got Darkest Minds/Oceans Eleven/X-Men/Heist Society vibes through out it. But even with all of that, it still managed to be entertaining as hell and kept me interested.
The writing is nice and simple with great dialogue. There's interesting character dynamics all over the place. Then there's the interesting dystopian world that actually kind of makes sense! Yes, people getting powers from medicine, would probably never happen. But the author roles with it in a way that's rather believable and interesting (and does the smart thing by not trying to use faulty science to explain how it's totally possible).
The result is a fun and entertaining debut with a ending that is satisfying but also makes me want more. This looks like it's going to be a fun series. I'm seriously scratching my head about why more people aren't talking about it. It's perfect for those of us who are missing Gallagher Girls/Heist Society (seriously, Carter MORE BOOKS, where are you?).
WHO SHOULD READ: Heist Society fans, Ocean's Eleven fans, X-Men fans, Darkest Minds fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five Hello Kitty bobble-heads (read it, it'll make sense later)

No comments:

Post a Comment