Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Book Review: Deception's Princess

TITLE: Deception's Princess
Book 1 in the Maeve duet/Book 7 in the Princesses of Myth series
AUTHOR: Esther Friesner
PUBLISHED: April 22nd, 2014
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Historical Fiction
PREMISE: Maeve, a Scottish princess, tries to survive life in court under a protective father.
MY REVIEW: First, I want to talk about all the "it's like Brave!" whines I've heard about this book. Okay, yeah, I see similarities. However, did you stop to think about the fact that maybe this tale that Friesner is writing about is what inspired Brave in the first place? Also, yes, Maeve has the red hair/green dress/scottish accent/doesn't want to be forced to be married. But that's where the similarities pretty much end. Her mother doesn't get turned into a bear. There's no evil witch. It's very much a character study like most of these princess of myth books are. I really wish people would stop accusing every story of being a rip-off the minute it has a one or two minor similarities to something else. It's annoying people. Stop it.
Now as for the book itself...this is probably my least favorite of the princess of myth books. I still liked it, don't get me wrong. I love these books to death because of the brilliant way Friesner blends history and myth and absorbs you into the setting. So even though I found this one...lackluster, it was still good. But again, I say this as someone who adores these books so my review is rather biased.
So this one...is not the best of the princess books. But if you've been a long-time reader of this series (can you believe it's been over five years?!), I would still pick it up.
WHO SHOULD READ: Princesses of Myth series fans, historical fiction fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five fiesty redheads

No comments:

Post a Comment