Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Book Review: Otherbound

TITLE: Otherbound
AUTHOR: Corinne Duyvis
PUBLISHED: June 17th, 2014
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Fantasy
PREMISE: A boy gets drawn into another world whenever he closes his eyes...
MY REVIEW: I think this is more then likely one of my top ten books of the year. Please keep in mind, I haven't gotten around to Gods and Monsters or Dangerous Creatures yet (I need to finish Dance of Dragons and many others first, my TBR pile is kind of sad right now...). But it is a good bet that this is going to be ONE of my favorite debuts of the year. I'm hard pressed to find anything I didn't like about it. Like, the only thing I can think of that would be a problem is that it's rather dark, so if that's not your thing, then you probably won't get into it.
It was well written. It has complex characters. It not only has diversity in abundance, but it has characters with disabilities AND LGBT representation. It has a entertaining fast-paced plot that unlike Dangerous, never gets confusing. I was able to follow it and it was creative! Usually in a YA book, I can find something similar to something else but with this one...I couldn't do that. Other then if you love fantasy with diversity then this is so your book.
Frankly, this book was made of awesome. It doesn't LOOK like there's going to be a sequel which makes me sad. But the book is so satisfying in the ending that it honestly doesn't need a sequel. However, if the author decided to do one in the future, I wouldn't complain about it. I hope this author sticks around. If this is her debut, then we're in for some good stuff in the future.
WHO SHOULD READ: fantasy fans, anyone inclined to pick it up, people who don't mind dark fantasy books
MY RATING: Five out of Five book squees

No comments:

Post a Comment