Friday, June 20, 2014

What to Read Next: The Fault in Our Stars

So, this is an idea I've come up with that I hope to do every Friday (or weekends, depending on schedule) where I give about five (or more) book recs to read after you've read that big bestseller and found that you loved it. Because I always see people do this. They find a book they love, but then don't know where to go from there. So, I hope this feature will help people out with that problem. Or at the very least, help you find new books. Note: I will be doing all categories with my recs. So you'll often see a mixture of YA and adult and maybe some middle-grade. If it suits the topic in hand, I will rec it.

This Week: What Read After Fault in Our Stars

1) Looking For Alaska by John Green
Why: I always say check out the authors other books as well first if you've found you loved one of their books. Looking for Alaska is the strongest of his other work. But also look into: Paper Towns, An Abundance of Katherines, and Will Grayson Will Grayson.






2) My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
Why: Not much of a Picoult fan, but this is in keeping with the theme of Fault in Our Stars. It deals with cancer and the emotional take in can have on people. Though this one goes more into some of the ethical questions of treatment. I will warn though, that it kind of does all the tropes about cancer kids that Fault in Our Stars makes fun of. Seriously, I bet if Hazel would read this, she'd hate it so this rec comes with a bit of a disclaimer.




3) 13 Little Blue Envelopes (and sequel) by Maureen Johnson
Why: It's realistic fiction so there's that. But also Johnson and Green have similar writing styles so I definitely see her books appealing to Green fans. This one also has the quirky, sarcastic characters like Fault in Our Stars. There's also a trip to Europe.






4) If I Stay (and sequel) by Gayle Forman
Why: Again, slightly similar writing styles. Also this one explores grief and questions of life and death like Fault in Our Stars did. It's also being made into a movie that comes out in August and is sure to cause a tear or two as well.







5) Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
Why: Well, Green himself highly recommends Rowell. This one also has the nerdy romance couple thing going for it as well as a slightly bittersweet ending. Also, it's been optioned for a movie so the time to read is now.







Other longshot recs: Sarah Dessen (so I hear, never read her, so can't say for sure), The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson (again, haven't read, but people tell me it's good for Fault in Our Stars fans), Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins, Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan, 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher.








No comments:

Post a Comment