Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Book Review: The Inventor's Secret

TITLE: The Inventor's Secret
Book 1 in a new series
AUTHOR: Andrea Cremer
PUBLISHED: April 22nd, 2014
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Steampunk, Historical Fantasy
PREMISE: Charlotte and her brother lead a band of refugees in the hopes of changing the tide of war.
MY REVIEW: In retrospect...I probably should have left this one alone. I wasn't the biggest fan of Nightshade. In fact, I still haven't read past the first book because I just plain didn't want too. I still have no regrets about it, either.
But, every so often, an author makes a different sort of series that is better then their original so I make it a point to give authors the benefit of my doubt and try new series unless I really really hated their first one. For instance, I will not be looking at Adornetto's new series, because I just plain couldn't stand Halo and from what I gather, she hasn't improved much. Sadly...there's not much improvement here either. This one has all the same problems that Nightshade had, just with a different setting. Like Nightshade, it had a competent enough plot and a great setting. But also like Nightshade, it had flat characters who didn't make sense, conflicting messages about feminism (for instance the main character is kick-butt, but it makes sure to scold things like wanting to wear pretty dresses), and plot-holes galore. Also, while I admit the plot is competent...the plot is also kind of the same as Nightshade just with different characters and different setting.
So, I guess if you happened to love Nightshade, go and read. You'll probably enjoy it very much. But if you were ho hum about Nightshade like myself....don't bother.
WHO SHOULD READ: Nightshade fans, light steampunk fans
MY RATING: Three out of Five shrugs

No comments:

Post a Comment