Thursday, June 5, 2014

Book Review: The Taking

TITLE: The Taking
Book 1 in The Taking series
AUTHOR: Kimberly Derting
PUBLISHED: April 29th, 2014
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Science Fiction, Mystery
PREMISE: Kyra wakes up after an accident only to discover that she's been gone for five years...
MY REVIEW: You really have to hand it to Derting: she mixes it up. I may not always be thrilled with her stuff (see The Pledge trilogy), but I can always be sure that a) it will not be like her last book (unless it's part of the same series) and b) it will be an interesting idea. This new series of hers is no exception.
It starts off slowly. At first I actually did figure this was just going to be a regular mystery but I was proved wrong and it was awesome when I was. There are some things I could have done without as usual (damn love triangles, things are like weeds, you can't get rid of them!). But those are mostly minor complaints that absolutely don't ruin the fun ride this book is.
As I've come to expect from Derting: this is a clever and entertaining read. Not the best in the world, but certainly not a waste of time. If you like the sci-fi side of mysteries, absolutely check this one out.
WHO SHOULD READ: Derting fans, Sci-Fi fans, fans of Project Paper Doll
MY RATING: Four out of Five alien spaceships abducting people

No comments:

Post a Comment