Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Book Review: The House of Ivy and Sorrow

TITLE: The House of Ivy and Sorrow
AUTHOR: Natalie Whipple
PUBLISHED: April 15th, 2014
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Urban Fantasy, Witches
PREMISE: A girl lives with her grandmother and studies magic. Her life is turned upside down when a man who might be her father returns...
MY REVIEW: Ivy and Sorrow was definitely an interesting read. The author managed to give a good sense of this world and also give a fast paced plot to keep you turning the pages.
What interested me mostly was the magic of course. It was actually kind of refreshing. Magic wasn't easy and there were rules to it and some of it was slightly twisted. That and the interesting family dynamics were what kept me reading. The romance was...okay. Nothing spectacular, but no douchebag love interests, so I'm happy. It was also nice to see a girl with actual female friendships. It's sad that this happens so little in YA that when it does I sit up and take notice when it does occur.
So it's a bit of a mixed bag really. I feel like it was a bit rushed and this is one of the few instances where I wish the author had stretched it into a series for that reason. But there was a clear beginning, middle, end. Characters were interesting. Plot was interesting. So I say a job well done. I'll be looking into Whipple's future books and the one she wrote last year that I missed.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of her last book, witch fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five talking sassy cats


No comments:

Post a Comment