Saturday, March 24, 2012

Book Review: Born Wicked


TITLE: Born Wicked
Book 1 in the Cahill Witches series
AUTHOR: Jessica Spotswood
PUBLISHED: 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: witches, UF, historical fiction, drama
PREMISE: A girl in a family of witches does her best to protect her sisters in a time when witchcraft is forbidden.
MY REVIEW: I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting to like this as much as I did so much of my enjoyment comes from pure surprise at how not bad this book was. Granted, there are still a few tropes such as the ever present and obvious love triangle and the messages weren't terribly subtle either (it's feminist and proud which I'm all for but I felt the feminist leanings got lost sometimes what with the judging of women that the main character sometimes did). But other then a few minor gripes I enjoyed this quite a bit.
It's decently written, characters are fun and interesting and there's growth, there's surprises going on, interesting family dynamics, and I just love the world building that was in it. You've all probably realized by now that I have a thing for witch books and this book was no exception to my love of witches. The ending also will have you clamoring for the second book.
So while there are things that aren't terribly original about it, it's still a very enjoyable ride. I look forward to the next installment.
WHO SHOULD READ: Witch fans, fans of Prophecy of the Sisters, Gemma Doyle fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five herbs

No comments:

Post a Comment