Friday, February 24, 2012

Book Review: The Alchemy of Forever


TITLE: The Alchemy of Forever
Book 1 in the Incarnation series
AUTHOR: Avery Williams
PUBLISHED: 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: urban fantasy, romance
PREMISE: Sera has been reincarnated time and again and finally she has had enough and runs from the one reincarnating her, but then he finds her again.
MY REVIEW: Okay here's the thing, when one doesn't really think too hard about this book. It seems really good. There isn't anything completely wrong with it. Writing is decent, a somewhat interesting plot, and so on. The technical aspects of it are all right.
For me I think the problem mostly lies with the main character who is just so...BORING. I mean she seems cool and interesting for the first few chapters but then she quickly falls into Mary Sue category by the middle. I mean really, she has next to NO PROBLEM fitting into this brand new life that she knows NOTHING ABOUT. In fact, she's practically better at this life then the original occupant who gets much judgement from Sera in my opinion even though they've never met and oh yeah, Sera is the one stealing her life when she swore she was never going to do such a thing again. After that it's just little things that kept bugging me such as a million little plot holes, lack of explanation for how any of this is possible, a cheesetastic villian, two-dimensional characters, lackluster instant romance with next to no basis, and a ending that was abrupt. Look, I like cliffhangers and everything, but that was a bad cliffhanger and very anti-climatic.
The thing is this book just wasn't too my taste but I'm fairly certain there are many readers out there who may get a kick out of it. So I don't totally write it off. It's a decent enough debut. I just personally couldn't get into it. I think this is one of those you should check out from the library first to see if it's for you.
WHO SHOULD READ: romance fans, those not bothered by lack of details
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five alchemy books

No comments:

Post a Comment