Monday, July 4, 2011

Book Reivew: Runaway


TITLE: Runaway
Book 3 in the Airhead Trilogy
AUTHOR: Meg Cabot
PUBLISHED: 2010
CATEGORY: Young Adult
GENRE: drama, mystery, romance
SHORT PREMISE: Em has her final showdown with Stark
MY REVIEW: Since getting her brained switched into a supermodel's body, Em has had to go through a lot. Now she's held hostage by Brandon Stark, is dealing with the REAL Nikki Howard who wants her body back ASAP, Christopher who is being difficult, and on top of everything the evil Stark Enterprises.
If you're a regular reader of this blog you know I'm a huge Meg Cabot fangirl. I've been a fan of hers for a long time (back when she was only 4 books in the Princess Diaries and just starting The Mediator and 1-800-WHERE-R-U) and this book is no exception. I loved it. It's maybe not the best of Cabot's work. I sort of wish the Stark thing hadn't happened so easily, and it sort of felt like everything tied up way too easily at the end but it's Cabot so despite some flaws I still adored it. Her writing is nice and crisp and hilarious, she gets into the head of her characters, the characters are always entertaining, and I have to admit what Stark was doing stunned me. In fact I wish we had spent more time on the creepy factor of that but oh well. What Cabot doesn't get enough credit for in my opinion is the great messages in her books. She manages to talk to teens through her work without hitting you over the head with her message like some authors do (Adornetto, I'm looking at you). In this book she tackles the beauty issue and I love how she handles it. She has several different views in here and never tells you which is the right way to think but it's enough to get the teen reading to think (I'm hoping anyway) and I really appreciate that aspect of Cabot's work. This is why I will always rec her stuff to teens no matter what. To top it off, her heroines are great.
So this book is no exception to my Cabot love. Next up I'm reading Abandon (on my shelf now) and Overbite (will be bought as soon as possible) by Cabot. I love consistant authors, don't you? For those wondering, my favorite character in this is Lulu. She was made of win throughout.
WHO SHOULD READ: Meg Cabot fans, those that read Airhead and Being Nikki, fans of Maureen Johnson
MY RATING: Four out of Five stilletto heels

No comments:

Post a Comment