Friday, May 6, 2011

Book Review: Spirit Bound


TITLE: Spirit Bound
Book 5 in the Vampire Academy series
AUTHOR: Richelle Mead
PUBLISHED: 2010
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: vampires, adventure, romance, drama, urban fantasy
PREMISE: Rose sets out to find a way to turn back Dimitri, but simply turning him back doesn't automatically make everything all right...
MY REVIEW: Yay, finally a book I can get excited about this week. I'm sorry I've been Debbie Downer over here on books lately but I've had rotten luck this year for some reason, every other book this year has been mediocre to outright bad to boring. I'm hoping it's just a beginning of the year slump or something. Besides I haven't gotten the ones I'm excited about anyway so maybe that's the issue. Anyway, like all of Vampire Academy I adored and was excited by Spirit Bound. Seriously, I love this series. Admittedly it is sometimes eye-rollworthy and I get definite Buffy flashbacks while reading this. But I happen to love Buffy so this is a point in the author's favor. Oh and she could stand to not summarize as much.
But for the most part this series is awesome and it's one of those that get better as the book series goes on. Rose is developing, not just in skill but in maturity as well but she's still the same awesome Rose too. In fact all of these characters are given development of some sort. There are multiple plots aside from the Dimitri/Rose romance angle to keep you interested and honestly, Rose and Dimitri aren't even really center of the universe in this series (which I adore because I tire of "oh our love is so epic, the world counts on us being together!"). Plus, it has characters I actually LIKE. The writing is maybe a tad average but the author is great with weaving plots together and has phenomenal dialogue.
With that cliff hanger I am not waiting for Last Sacrifice to get into paperback. I'm going to try and get my library's copy. Besides that way I'll be all caught up in time to read Bloodlines! Which is apparently about Jill and Sydney who is a character I adore so I can't wait.
WHO SHOULD READ: those that have read the first 5 books, Buffy fans, vampire book fans, fans of Twilight, fans of House of Night
MY RATING: Four and a half out of Five silver stakes

Just a note, I now have a Tumblr where I will post about various fangirly things such as tv, movies, and of course books. Come visit and if you're on tumblr let me know, I'll give you a follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment