Friday, May 20, 2011

Book Review: Bloody Jack


TITLE: Bloody Jack
Book 1 in the Bloody Jack series
AUTHOR: L.A. Meyer
PUBLISHED: 2002
CATEGORY: Young Adult
GENRE: adventure, historical fiction, drama
PREMISE: A girl dresses as a boy and goes off to sea.
MY REVIEW: Bloody Jack is about a girl who due to various circumstances ends up dressing as a boy and becoming a cabin boy for a ship. That's pretty much all there is to this book to be honest. I don't really have that much to say about it. It was just okay for me. Which is wierd because I normally adore books where a girl poses as a boy (if you haven't already done so, read Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce). But I don't know I just wasn't feeling this one. It honestly wasn't even because the book was bad or anything either because there were some very good things in here.
It was nicely written, had great historical research, I could picture everything that was happening. It was nice having a female who took care of herself for a change and it was nice having a book that wasn't about a love triangle or the angstyness of high school.
But I just wasn't into it for some reason. Maybe I wasn't in the mood? Or it could be because I kept staring at Last Sacrifice that is now on my shelf from the library...Yeah, that's probably it. So this is a nice book, I just didn't feel it but other people probably will.
WHO SHOULD READ: Tamora Pierce fans, pirate fans, Treasure Island fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five tattoos

No comments:

Post a Comment