Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Book Review: The Splendor Falls


TITLE: The Splendor Falls
AUTHOR: Rosemary Clement-Moore
PUBLISHED: 2009
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: Paranormal, fantasy, mystery
PREMISE: A girl gets sent to her aunt for a vacation in a small southern town and discovers ghosts.
MY REVIEW: When Sylvie gets injured her dance career is pretty much over and she's not particularly happy. Especially as she just lost her father a few years ago and her mother just remarried and is shipping her off to a strange aunt she doesn't even know. While there she encounters two boys, ghosts, and starts questioning this heritage her father never told her about...
I liked this book. It wasn't brilliant by any means. Sometimes the writing was eye-roll worthy and I would have liked it if the author had explained stuff a little more because the ending didn't answer all my questions but perhaps that means the author is planning a sequel? I don't know, there hasn't been one announced yet. But overall this was rather decent. It had that nice spooky paranormal book feel and thankfully that was just what I was in the mood for. Characters were interesting though I wish Addie hadn't been quite so two-dimensional. The story was also rather interesting and I found myself absorbed in the history part of it.
So no, the book isn't uber spectacular but this makes for a great beach read I think and it's perfect if you're craving good old-fashioned paranormal stuff. I'm definitely keeping a lookout for the author's next book Texas Gothic which is coming out in July and is also a paranormal book.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of shows like Medium or Ghost Whisperer, paranormal fans, Caster Chronicles fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five cranky ghosts

No comments:

Post a Comment