Thursday, February 23, 2012

Ditched Book Review: Halfway to the Grave


TITLE: Halfway to the Grave
Book 1 in the Night Huntress series
AUTHOR: Jeanine Frost
PUBLISHED: 2009
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Urban fantasy, romance
PREMISE: Cat hunts vampires. Pretty much about it.
REASONS I DITCHED IT: Well first and foremost the main character was SUCH A MARY SUE, of the annoying kind not the tolerable kind. I'm sorry, I can't get into books when the main character does nothing for me. By all rights, I should love this character, she's kickass or so people tell me. But it was pretty clear thirty percent in that Cat is what I call a faux-feminist Mary Sue. She is presented as a kick-butt character so the author can say "see, feminests? This book isn't sexist! You can enjoy it!" But the actions of said Mary Sue pretty much derail any feminist ideals that may be in the book. Because once the guy (whose name I can't even recall now, that's how unremarkable he is) comes along she basically turns into his sex kitten and does his bidding. Yeah, that's feminist all right. See, turns out she was going about things entirely the wrong way and he shows her the right way. Which or course, includes sexing her up (oh and naturally Mary Sue is naive as hell when it comes to sex even though she's HAD SEX and blushes prettily at sexual innuedo. Sigh)
Don't even get me started on the fact that Cat is apparently part human, part vampire. I mean, what? How the hell does that work? That makes no sense whatsoever. Even main guy said that she shouldn't be possible which frankly makes her more of a Mary Sue.
Then there were just little irritating things like the unremarkable writing style, the male lead who was obviously modeled after Spike from Buffy but without any of Spike's character depth or any of the things that made you root for Spike. Literally he treats her like crap and I'm supposed to want these two to get together? Sorry, but no. I got about as far as her using her sex appeal to lure vamps before I finally just said to hell with it and washed my hands of this book. Look, if you want mindless UF with sexyness then this probably fits the bill but it was just too ridiculous for my taste. I will not be trying any of the rest of the series despite people telling me they get better, nor will I be reading any of Frost's other stuff, assuming she's written anything else besides this series. I just can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment