Friday, February 10, 2012

Book Review: Juliet Immortal


TITLE: Juliet Immortal
AUTHOR: Stacey Jay
PUBLISHED: 2011
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: retelling, fantasy, romance
PREMISE: The tale of Romeo and Juliet is a big fat lie. In reality Romeo betrayed Juliet for power and she is on a quest for vengence.
MY REVIEW: For the record I LOVE the premise of this book. It has always bugged me how people go on about Romeo and Juliet being so romantic when hello, they commit suicide! Not very romantic there. Plus I fall under the group of people who believe Shakespeare was actually doing satire with this play because when one looks at it as satire, it makes so much more sense. So this concept here? Genuis in my opinion.
I do have some issues with the book, namely much plot devices were convenient, I still don't understand how Juliet and Romeo jump into people's lives and why they do so and I've also read that particular idea earlier before in the book Mercy by Rebecca Lim (though I think this book handled the concept better then Mercy did). Plus I would have liked better characterization for Juliet who seemed to float between badass and whiny girl who needs saving all the time. But other then these things it was a well done book and I agree with my local Barnes and Noble sellers: much better then Twilight.
So if you want a different take on Romeo and Juliet this fits the bill.
WHO SHOULD READ: Romeo and Juliet fans, Twilight fans, romance fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five plays

No comments:

Post a Comment