Saturday, July 30, 2011

Book Review: Storm Front


TITLE: Storm Front
Book 1 in the Dresden Files Series
AUTHOR: Jim Butcher
CATEGORY: adult
GENRE: urban fantasy, magic, mystery
SHORT PREMISE: a wizard detective goes on a case.
MY REVIEW: Harry Dresden is one of the only publicly working wizard PIs in the business. When something wierd pops up, which in Chicago tends to happen, Harry gets called in to consult with the police. This time however, the case gets complicated when the council suspects HIM of murder and he's trying to prove his innocence now...
One of my goals this year is to read stuff I've heard of and have meant to look at but never got around to it, this book is one of those books (so was If I Stay). I heard of the Dresden Files of course, but somehow never got around to picking up one of the books. I'm glad I finally did read this. Is it brilliant? Not really. It's pretty much like every other detective novel series out there, it just has magic added in. So it's not without the stereotypes that come along with PI novels. Also sometimes the writing irked me.
But as a whole this is a fun series and I see why it's so popular. Will definitely be checking out the rest of it because I'm dying for more backstory on Harry. Other books to come in my quest to read stuff I've been meaning too: Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (coming up soon, I'm almost finished), A Game of Thrones book 1, Paper Towns by John Green (plus all his others), and many others.
WHO SHOULD READ: urban fantasy fans, PI Novel fans, fans of the Dresden Files TV Show
MY RATING: Four out of Five pentagrams

No comments:

Post a Comment