Friday, July 1, 2011

Book Review: Glimmerglass


TITLE: Glimmerglass
Book 1 in the Faeriewalker series
AUTHOR: Jenna Black
PUBLISHED: 2010
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: Faeries, urban fantasy, romance, drama
SHORT PREMISE: girl becomes a pawn in the faerie world
MY REVIEW: Dana has had it up to here with her mom so she goes to see her father in Avalon. While there she learns she is a faeriewalker which is somehow important and becomes involved in the cutthroat world of faerie politics while falling for dangerous guys.
I had bought this on sale for 4 dollars and at the same time had checked out Black's adult series. I was really annoyed by the adult series but I was hoping maybe her YA series would be better. I was wrong. Sorry Ms. Black, I guess your books just don't do it for me. On one hand, you have great and creative world building. On the other hand, your plots and you characters aren't nearly as interesting as your worlds.
Like Mogan Kingsley, Dana is annoyingly selfish with a major attitude problem that she gives to EVERYONE including the people who try to help her. Also I'm sorry, you claim to care about your mother so you figure the best thing to do is ditch her without telling her where you're going to a father you've never met, to a place you've never been? Yeah, that's smart. Never mind that the mother is an alcoholic so it would probably be dangerous to leave her on her own. Also again, the attitude thing. I can understand the snarkiness to the rude aunt, and maybe even to the guy who "kidnapped" you. But why the hell do you have such an issue with the girl who never said more then two words to you? Or why do you continue to be rude to the people after learning they're trying to help you? To top it off, I still don't get why Dana is so special, she doesn't actually DO anything in the book all the stuff just happens to her and she goes along giving attitude the whole way. There seems to be a incorrect idea among YA authors that if your heroine has a attitude that automatically makes her kickass. Um, NO. Some snarkiness is good. Best example of a good snarky heroine is Rose from Vampire Academy or any of Meg Cabot's main characters. But there's a fine line between being snarky and being just plain bitchy (pardon the curse word, but I'm sorry it's the only word to describe it). Like Morgan, Dana fell more along the lines of bitchy and thus I wanted to reach into the book and smack her. Thus making it hard for me to enjoy the book at all because it's from her point of view. Also the writing style needs work.
So I'm sorry, this is not for me and I will no longer be reading any of Jenna Black's work because clearly she's one of those authors I just don't get into.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of Morgan Kingsley
MY RATING: Two out of Five faeries (because the worldbuilding is nice)

No comments:

Post a Comment