Thursday, July 7, 2011

Book Review: Demonglass


TITLE: Demonglass
Book 2 in the Hex Hall series
AUTHOR: Rachel Hawkins
PUBLISHED: 2011
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: magic, fantasy, romance, mystery
SHORT PREMISE: Sophie deals with her demon powers during her summer break.
MY REVIEW: Sophie and co. return in the sequel to Hex Hall. Sophie is headed to England to spend time with dear old dad and learn about her demon heritage with her friends Jenna and Cal who never bothered to mention they were betrothed while she was flirting with Archer who is in England and who she no longer has feelings for. Really.
Hex Hall was one of my top ten books from 2010 so I anticipated this book something fierce. Only reason it took me so long to get to is because I had several other books I need to finish first. Damn reading pile keeps growing you know? I devoured this in a few short hours and oh man, I could not approve more with what Hawkins has done. She took it totally in a direction I didn't expect. She introduced new characters and plot developements and made a love triangle that didn't drive me nuts with it's pointlessness. Oh, for the record, Team Cal y'all. I know Sophie will probably end up with Archer cause that's how these things go but damn, I'm rooting for Cal if only because he is made of awesomeness (and so is Archer, I just like Cal more). Isn't it nice having male leads that don't make you want to roll your eyes with their sexism or one-dimensionalism? Yay for good male love interests!
The only thing that keeps this series from being brilliant is that it's not terribly original. However, the way Hawkins writes it and what she focuses on makes the series feel fresh and shiny and the wit and fiesty heroine is definitely a breath of fresh air. After that cliffhanger (JENNA! NO! PLEASE DON'T BE DEAD! Sorry, she's my fav)I cannot wait for the next book that is sadly not till next year.
WHO SHOULD READ: Those that read Hex Hall, Harry Potter fans, Sabrina the Teenage Witch fans, magic school book fans
MY RATING: Four and a half out of Five grimoires

No comments:

Post a Comment