Thursday, May 11, 2017

Book Review: The Stars Are Legion

TITLE: The Stars Are Legion
AUTHOR: Kameron Hurley
PUBLISHED: February 7th
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Science-Fiction
PREMISE: A woman is reborn into a civilization at war...
MY REVIEW: If that premise sounds vague to you, it's because I honestly have no idea how to explain this to people. Long story short: it's sci-fi where people get reborn constantly and they are at war with another civilization over a planet's resources. Oh, and everyone is female. Yes. Everyone. But somehow they all still manage to give birth. There was a bit of a hand-wavy explanation for how.
This was my first experience with Hurley's fiction writing. I'd just recently read her Geek Feminist Revolution book and in it she talks about her writing process and inspirations a lot. That made me very interested in picking up her fiction books, so I just picked up her latest one. I...like it but I also have issues with it. Namely the world-building is...a tad confusing at times. The character building is great. I also really like her writing style. But I had problems picturing things because the world-building felt vague to me. So that was a bit frustrating. Also...I won't lie: this book is dark and at times very violent. Think Game of Thrones style violence but in space. So if you're squeemish, I'd proceed with caution.
So yeah, I liked the idea of this one...I'm just not sure about the overall execution. I really wouldn't read this if you're brand new to sci-fi. There are much easier introductions to the genre. But if after you've gotten your feet a bit wet, and want some more LGBTQA sci-fi in your life...this isn't a bad one to pick up.
WHO SHOULD READ: veteran Sci-Fi fans, Kameron Hurley fans, Game of Thrones fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five wars

No comments:

Post a Comment